Wednesday, May 13, 2009

I need advice...

So, yesterday I had a horrible day (calorie intake wise) really my day wasn't bad just my eating. I decided to just shrug it off as a bad day and start again today. Well, my morning got busy and then I went and got my hair done, and then went to speech and then it was dinner time and I realized I hadn't eaten at all yet today. And I really wasn't that hungry, but knew I obviously needed to eat something. So I had dinner and am just wondering if that is normal, like, do calories hang in there, filling you up even the next day?? Or was I just crazy or too busy to notice if I was hungry???
-a very confused Cookie who has never not been hungry unless sick.

6 comments:

Dawni and Zach said...

I know I'm not a member of Club Zero, but I do have some advice on this. Your body knows itself. It's been proven that too often we get caught up in "meal times;" we have learned that at noon we need to eat lunch, at 6:00pm we need to eat dinner, etc. While it's great to eat three squares a day, too often we just eat because of the time of day because we've conditioned ourselves. If you're not hungry for a meal or two, I think you're fine. Eat when you are hungry. I personally have had many a day where the only meal I eat is dinner, because I'm sometimes just not hungry during the day. (Mostly during the summer) If you're not hungry for more than a day, you might have something going on. There's my two cents. Hope it helps ease your mind.
-Zach

Adam and Sherry said...

WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!!! You should always eat 3 square meals EVERY DAY!!! I have done exactly that same thing you have done many times before. It is just simply you get too caught up with the kids and simply forget to eat. It is easy to do as a fabulous mom :) I know that every doctor I have ever talked to about weight loss has said to NEVER skip a meal. So don't do it on purpose only when you are too caught up in being that fabulous mom.

The Walkers said...

Yep, the first thing taught in Weight Watchers is that you do not not eat!!!!! You just had a crazy day. It was Fast Tuesday instead of Fast Sunday. If you don't eat your metabolism shuts down. None of us want that. Thunderbuns' trainer told her to not go any longer than 4 hours(I think) without eating. So to go without eating just because you are not hungry is not a good practice.

Dawni and Zach said...

I do have to agree on a point made: most dietitians say to get a steady supply of food in (6 small meals if you can help it) in order to keep your body from going into panic mode. I however, will have to agree to disagree on one point. If you're not hungry, don't force yourself to eat. Do make sure you get your minimum amount of calories in for the day, though. If you don't get your minimum in, your body decides to store everything. (Talk to a dietitian, but looking online it's usually in the ~1,500 to keep you alive per day, but it varies by gender, age, build, etc.) But hey, we're not doctors, we just all have life experiences and opinions based on those. Talk to a dietitian or someone who has intricate knowledge of this if you can. You don't go into a fight without knowing your enemy, so to speak, so why try to approach weight loss and healthy living without first finding out how your body reacts to different forms of exercise or types of food first?

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that you have to learn to listen to your body and change habits. I may be under the average weight class for someone my age and height, but that doesn't mean I can't be overfat internally, or that I have great cholesterol. My family has a history of heart disease, so I know I need to start now to eat healthy and pay attention to what I put into my body. Dawni showed me a lot when she lost her 50 pounds on what crap I was allowing into my body and it's been a learning curve for me ever since. I can't as easily see the effects of bad food as most people, so I have to be extra careful in my opinion, as problems have a good chance of coming "without warning" later in life if I don't take care of myself now. I thank Dawni immensely for showing me that, and hopefully when we have kids I'll be able to stick around a long time to be with them and their children.

Ok, off my soapbox now. Sorry about the long post. :) Do what you feel is best!

-Zach

The Patty Cake House said...

Here are the effects of REGULARLY skipping meals. Obviously one day will not lead to this :O) So no worries Cookie.

Table 1.Effects of Skipping Meals (2,3,6,8,10)
• Decreased energy expenditure
• Decreased metabolic rate
• Weight gain
• Increased preference of fat in the diet
• Decrease strength
• Increased injury rates
• Decreased bone density
• Decreased body temperature
• Decreased performance
• Decreased resistance to disease
• Renal regulation and Electrolyte imbalance
• Impaired Thermal regulation
• Decreased Testosterone level
• Mood swings
• Menstrual dysfunction

YIKES!!!

Adam and Sherry said...

Thanks Thunderbuns for all the great info. Skipping meals on purpose is not the way to go no matter who you are. I may be over weight and I may like to eat sweets a little too often but I am a very healthy person. So cookie just keep being that awesome Mom and if you get too busy to eat (which happens when you are a mom) just eat when you have that two minutes to yourself :)