Thursday, February 5, 2009

CHALLENGE THURSDAY

Tip #69

Water: Your companion for the day

Keep a water bottle with you at all times today. Take it with you in the car, to the office, to the kids' soccer game-everywhere.

Your body needs water to transport nutrients, remove waste and metabolic by-products, control your body temperature, protect your vital organs, and support your blood volume and circulation. Drinking water helps with weight loss as well. Your health suffers when you are dehydrated.

I'm a busy mom, and even though I know how desperately my body needs water, I sometimes get caught up in busy day-to-day life and forget to drink water. But the days I tote around a twelve-to twenty-ounce water bottle, I stay on top of my water needs with very little effort.

You can drink too much, so don't go too overboard with this. Most women need about 90 ounces per day and most men need about 125 ounces per day. You'll get about 20 percent of that need through solid food. And keep in mind that high temperatures, humidity, and exercise can increase your water needs.

-A small note from Cookie, good luck with this, let's hear from you when this is accomplished, how did it go?? Is it a change you can live with??

4 comments:

Doug and Michele said...

It definately helped to keep my bottle with me. I was running crazy in the car today and drank most of my water on the road. Had I not read the tip, I would have stayed dehydrated as usual. Thanks for the challenge. I will be making this a habit.

Dawni and Zach said...

I always have a water bottle with me. If I don't, I never get what I need. This challenge came on an easy day for me because I was at work and it is easy to keep a water bottle at my desk. The challenge will be on a non working day. I will carry on the challenge and see how it goes tomorrow when I don't work. Those are usually the days I struggle.

Tyson and Denise said...

So I found this one to truly be challenging. Here are my pro/cons of the experience. Con's first...#1.I kept forgetting. One more thing to remember must be too much. #2.I didn't like having one more thing to carry around when I was running errands. Taking care of the kiddos is enough things for my hands to juggle. #3. My purse isn't big enough to chuck it in, and I think if it was, and if I did, I might as well not have it with me because I would just forget it was there. Now the pros. #1. I found that I was thirsty for much of the day that I wouldn't normally think I was. My bottle kept running out of water. #2. I drank my healthy portion of water without even thinking about it. #3. I didn't feel the urge to snack at all yesterday, some of that comes from being busy, but I am guessing that a lot of that has to do with being hydrated. I will continue with this challenge through the week, and see if I can overcome those negatives. Maybe if I get used to having it with me it won't seem so cumbersome anymore, because there was more than once I was grateful for the drink. I'll let you know how it goes.

The Patty Cake House said...

I have really had a hard time with this one - I can't tell you how many times I've carried my water bottle around with me only to loose it in the weirdest places. One day I counted three random water bottles that I had placed around the house while doing chores that I forgot about. I am really trying to work on this one. I think it is a great tool to increase your water intake. I may have to break into my clothes from middle school and bust out the fanny pack! :O)