Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Workout Wednesday

Tip #43

Push-ups anytime, anywhere

Try some push-ups today. Push-ups are a great excersise for the entire upper body and abdominals.
Set a goal to do three sets of five to twenty reps. (Just do it, you'll feel the benefits as you perform the excercise.) Here's how how to do a push-up-at any fitness level.

Beginner: Get down on the floor on all fours. Move your hands out wide to the sides, in line with your shoulders; your knees should be bent directly under your hips and your abs should be contracted. Bend your elbows and lower your chest down toward the floor until your elbows are bent to a 90 degree angle. Keep your eyes looking at the floor to keep your head in proper alignment. Go down until your nose is one to three inches above the floor, then push back up.

Intermediate: Same as beginner, but walk your hands forward until your knees, hips, shoulders, and head form a straight upward diagonal line. Bring your hands in so they are directly under your chest. Keep your elbows in close to your rib cage as you lower down.

Advanced: Same as intermediate, but push up from your toes instead of your knees.

8 comments:

Dawni and Zach said...

Also, if you aren't somewhere that you can get down on the floor, you can do a pust up on the wall. I have found that you just have to do a little more reps. Sorry, I know we aren't supose to comment until we have done it but I thought I would share the tip. I will comment again later :)

The Walkers said...

Sorry this OLD member of the club can not kneel on her knees. I could try one knee push ups, but think that crunches may have to be substituted. Is that okay?

The Patty Cake House said...

Ok - I did the challenge - I am sooooo weak!!! :O) I am going to do one more every day than the day before - lets see how it goes :O)

Doug and Michele said...

So much harder than they used to be. For both of us. We each did 3 sets of varying. Fogarty did 52 of advanced I did 20 advanced and 20 intermediate. My arms are burning and heart is beating. Who said push-ups are not aerobic! Thanks for the motivation!

Doug and Michele said...

So much harder than they used to be. For both of us. We each did 3 sets of varying. Fogarty did 52 of advanced I did 20 advanced and 20 intermediate. My arms are burning and heart is beating. Who said push-ups are not aerobic! Thanks for the motivation!

Dawni and Zach said...

well, I just did this this morning. I am soooo weak. I could only do 30 and that was 10 at a time with a set of 10 sit-ups in between. My arms are so tired. I have a suggestion, can the challenges be posted the night before? I work out in the mornings and can't always get on the blog in the morning.

Tyson and Denise said...

To Poppy....yes of course, sorry about the knee. I guess you could try Razzle's suggestion about wall push-ups too if you wanted, but feel free to moderate anything you need to. And you are not old. Razzle, I could probably do that, or just do Workout wednesdays workout Thursday morning, just because it is posted that day dosen't mean it is the only day you can get it done. Sorry, this week I was a little slow in the mornings.

Tyson and Denise said...

...(imagine me doing pushups)...hey!! this isn't so bad I can't believe I can still do advanced pushups...Wow, that got hard fast...oh, maybe I should just do the intermediate ones....Sweet, I can do this.....ummm...this is starting to hurt a little, but not too bad....wait, I am involentarily shaking....how many are left in this set....(now imagine me laying in a heap on the floor trying to remember that 2 minutes ago I thought this was easy).